3 ) What is Outsider art?
- Outsider Art art is a contemporary artistic movement which brings together a number of self-taught creators who have voluntarily or not established a distance from official art.
- Other names used to designate this type of work: “marginal art”, “raw art”, “franche creation”, “Art hors les normes” or “extraordinary art”. In English it is “Outsider Art”
- Some artists of this movement: Gaston Chaissac (1910-1964), Robert Tatin (1902-1983), Sanfourche (1929-2010), for the oldest who were dubbed by Dubuffet. But also Stani Nitkowski and Michel Macréau, defended by the gallery “l’oeil de Boeuf” by Cérès Franco
- The term “singular” is said to have appeared during the event “Les Singuliers de l’Art”, organized in 1978 at the Museum of Modern Art in the City of Paris.
- Some relevant reviews on the subject: Artension, the wild egg, Hey, Raw Vision
- Some characteristic events: Festival of Banne (Ardèche), Biennale Hors Normes de Lyon, Festival of outsider art of Aubagne, Festival of outsider art of Miermaigne, Festival Hors-les-Normes of Praz-sur-Arly, Grand Baz ‘ art in Bézu, ArtenSeine Festival in Saint-Aubin-les-Elbe, Dives-sur-Mer Festival (Calvados), Outsider Art Biennal in Dijon
- some galleries which defend Outsider art: the Béatrice Soulié gallery in Paris, the Singul’Art gallery in Lyon, Le Hang-Art (Saffré), L’Arrivage de Troyes,
- Some museums or exhibitions’ places, sometimes both raw art and outsider art: Musée de la Création Franche de Bègles, L’Art en Marche de Lapalisse, Halle Saint Pierre in Paris, Musée Henri-Rousseau de Laval,